What is ISO 9001:2015?
ISO 9001 is a global standard that has helped organizations achieve superlative performance through process improvement and Quality Management system. It makes organizations capable of offering consistently high level of products and services that meet customer expectations. After the huge popularity and industry-wide application of ISO 9001 standards, the latest revision ISO 9001:2015 is published in the month of September 2015 after a gap of 7 years from the earlier ISO 9001:2008 version
What is new in ISO 9001:2015?
Prominent changes in the proposed version of ISO 9001:2015 are:
- The structure of the document has been revamped completely as per annexure SL which is a unified structure for all ISO standards now. Two new sections about context of the organization, performance management and evaluation have been added making the number of sections to 10 from 8 in the earlier version.
- The new release looks for a more dynamic risk management model instead of a conservative mode of corrective or preventive action approach that prevailed in the earllier standard. The proposed model has references to another ISO standardization series 31000:2009. However, the new ISO 9001:2015 version does not need an organization to implement risk management as per ISO 31000, it wants an organization to implement a risk based approach.
- It has been drafted with respect to the challenges of tomorrow. Hence, sustainability, social responsibility, organizational health and resilience will be important in the revised version.
- From the conventional model of documenting records, the proposed version considers document information i.e. soft copy of documents. Acceptance of electronic documentation and version control makes it in tune with the digital world. It opens up new challenges in the form of retaining the documented information as the evidence of implementing audit program and results, though.
- As ISO 9001:2015 extends its reach and applicability, the term “Product” has been replaced with “goods and services”. Also, ISO 9001:2008 standards have been consolidated in the seven principles for ISO 9001:2015 from the earlier 8 principles of ISO 9001:2008.
What is the benefit of ISO 9001:2015 upgrade?
- ISO 9001 is focused towards process improvement and quality management. It is a perpetual process that requires constant efforts. Hence, organizational benefits like customer satisfaction, resource optimization and employee satisfaction are the natural outcome. ISO 9001:2015 also helps in organizing the business processes systematically. It brings a culture of continuous development, brings high process efficiency and establishes a Quality Management Service for a QMS which will enable an organization achieve business objectives.
How to get the ball rolling?
Organizations that have ISO 9001 certification can go for 2015 upgrade without any hassles. Rather, they are encouraged for the revision. Though the ISO committee and IAF (International Accreditation Forum) have decided a three-year program for the transition from the date of publication of ISO 9001:2015 upgrade.
Since ISO 9001 is based on the concept of “plan, do check and act” method, it brings high operational improvement by a process-oriented approach and highly effective quality management. It is the reason organizations worldwide are getting benefited by complying ISO standards.